Ahh….Dating! While some can cringe at the idea of having to open up to someone or expose their vulnerabilities and fears of “putting yourself out there,” dating gives us a way to build greater connection and emotional (and physical) intimacy with another person.
Of course one of the challenges is choosing a place to go. UnDENYably, I am an “I dunno” or “It doesn’t matter” kinda woman. That means, I am generally open to anything so long as it brings me closer to a person. This drives a guy ABSOLUTELY crazy because he just wants me to choose a place. Sometimes I struggle because I love more creative and exotic things, but I don’t want to seem like I’m “high maintenance.”
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a 2 for $20 at Applebee’s and an occasional movie. Most definitely, I love anything FREE or if I get a great deal on anything, so I would definitely not considerate myself a gold digger. But a well-planned date can leave a lasting memory, even if you don’t spend a dime! Not to mention, it can determine how your relationship moves in and out of various zones and phases.
Because I have been doing this dating thing for a bit, I have had my share of dating disasters that have provided little-to-no opportunity to build emotional or physical intimacy. Let alone, prompt my excitement…or his for that matter…for a future date.
So I thought I would share my suggestions of what I believe are “8 Date Night Ideas to Promote Stronger Connections.”
- A Night of Bowling: This is sure to spark your fun and competitive spirit. Plus, ladies can we admit that also check him out when he is knocking down some pins?
- Go Roller Skating: Kick it old school and hit the skating ring. Who doesn’t love a good couple’s skate and glow necklace? Plus, many skating rings have an arcade so you can tap into your competitive side.
- Plan a Picnic in the Park: Sure you can dine out at a nice restaurant but sometimes it can noisy, or the tables and booths don’t allow for too much closeness. Instead, grab a blanket, call ahead for some take out, and pop up a private reservation for two in a park for a nice lunch or sunset dinner.
- Visit a Museum: Art, history, or science museums spark conversations, pique your emotional intellegience, and evoke some thought and feelings that can help you explore interests and worldviews. Plus, many museums are free or accept donations for entry. Talk about a deal!
- Check out a Comedy Show: Laughter is an aphrodisiac. It releases endorphins and gives us a natural high. Plus, men and women identify a great sense of hujmor as a highly admired and attractive quality.
- Paint Night: Sippin’ and strokin’ gets your creative juices flowing! Of course, I mean getting artsy and creative with a brush on a clean canvas. Paint Nights provide opportunities to chat, laugh with your partner, and encourage them to take on a new hobby. Plus, at the end of the night you’ll have a great reminder of the time you spent together.
- Salsa Dancing: Salsa is super sexy and intimate. With Groupon, LivingSocial, and Facebook ads, you are bound to find a great Latin Club or dance studio that offers lessons.
- Attend a Cooking Class: Sharing a kitchen is sure fire way to know if you are cooking up the chemistry! (Yes that was cheesy, but you get the point.) Not only do you get to prepare a delicious meal and taste something new, but you also can learn more about how your date handles stress or pressure, and how well you two work as a team.
So these are my 8 recommendations to take your date night to the next level. What are your recommendations?